Gastro Stop 2mg 20 Capsules
Each capsule contains 2mg loperamide hydrochloride. It also contains maize starch, lactose,
povidone, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and water.
What is Gastro-Stop used for?
Gastro-Stop belongs to a group of drugs used for the treatment of diarrhoea.
Gastro-Stop capsules are used to treat acute diarrhoea for short periods; i.e. up to 2 days in
adults and children over 12 years old. Doctors may sometimes prescribe these capsules for
other reasons; ask your doctor or pharmacist for information.
Do not give Gastro-Stop to children under 12 years of age.
Before you take Gastro-Stop
If the answer to any of the following questions is YES, consult your doctor or pharmacist
before taking Gastro-Stop.
- Have you ever had an allergic reaction to loperamide?
- Is your diarrhoea accompanied by fever, or by blood in the stools?
- Are you taking any other medication, especially antibiotics, tranquillizers, or narcotic pain medication ?
- Will you be drinking alcohol while taking this medication?
- Are you pregnant or breast feeding?
- Do you suffer from glaucoma?
- Do you suffer from bowel obstruction, constipation or abdominal bloating?
- Do you suffer from Inflammatory Bowel Disease; e.g. colitis?
- Do you suffer from liver disease?
- Do you suffer from kidney disease?
- Do you suffer from bladder obstruction?
- Are you under 12 years of age?
- Are you over 65 years of age?
- Always follow the directions which are on the label. If you do not understand these directions, or you are in any doubt, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- These capsules should be swallowed with a glass of water.
- You should not continue to take these capsules for longer than 48 hours, unless your doctor tells you to. If you forget to take a capsule after a loose bowel motion, take another as soon as you remember. If diarrhoea persists after 48 hours, see a doctor.
- In the event of an accidental overdose, contact your nearest hospital casualty department or your doctor immediately.
After taking Gastro-Stop
As with most medicines, Gastro-Stop* can sometimes cause unwanted side-effects in some
If you experience any of these or other symptoms, tell your doctor immediately:
- Abdominal cramps or bloating,
- Nausea and/or vomiting,
- Skin reactions such as nettle rash or hives.
- Blurred vision
Also, if you feel any other unexpected symptoms, see your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date shown on the outside packaging.
- These capsules should be stored in a cool, dry place away from light, in the package supplied.
- Do not transfer them to another container. Keep them in a secure place where children cannot get at them. This medicine is for you ONLY, do not give it to anyone else. Unless your doctor tells you to, do not keep these capsules for longer than you need.