Topical anaesthetic cream for use prior to the following procedures:
- Needle insertions e.g. blood sampling
- Superficial surgical procedures
- Split skin grafting (transplantation of skin)
- Cleaning of leg ulcers
- Minor superficial cosmetic procedure e.g. hair removal, tattoo removal
How to apply emla® Cream?
For most procedures, emla® cream must be applied at least one hour before the start of the procedure.
- Ensure that the skin is clean and dry. Press out sufficient quantity of cream onto the site of the procedure. Do not spread out the cream. For needle procedures in adults this is about 2g or half a 5g tube.
- Take one of the enclosed occlusive dressings and remove the centre cut-out piece. Other occlusive dressings can be used if there is no dressing in pack. E.g. plastic film such as cling wrap should be stuck on with adhesive tape
- Peel the paper liner from the paper framed dressing. Cover emla® cream so that you get a thick layer underneath. Smooth down the dressing edges carefully to avoid leakage. Remove the paper frame and mark the time of application on the occlusive dressing. Remove the occlusive dressing immediately before the procedure. Wipe off the cream and clean the area with alcohol.
- 25mg/g Lignocaine
- 25mg/g Prilocaine