2019 PBS Discount Details
Concession Patients (in 2019):
· Patient copayment of $6.50 per script
· 2019 Safety Net Threshold at $6.50 per script, $390/$6.50 = 60 scripts within a calendar year
· Patient copayment with $1 discount = $5.50 per script
· 2019 Safety Net Threshold at $5.50 per script (discount applied), $390/$5.50 = 70.9 scripts (rounding to 71 scripts)
Therefore, if you normally reach your PBS Safety Net Threshold within 10 months (i.e. In October with 6 scripts per month), if will take you an additional 2 months to meet the threshold if each script were discounted (i.e. In December, before the end of the calendar year)
General Patients (in 2019):
· Patient copayment of $40.30 per script
· Each PBS script may contribute up to $40.30 onto a Safety Net prescription record form - the recorded value for each PBS medicine must not exceed the “maximum recorded value” as stated on the PBS schedule.
· 2019 Safety Net Threshold: $1,550.70
· Discount does not apply to any script under the PBS copayment where a medicine cost less than $40.30
Therefore, if you normally pay for 3 scripts per month at the maximum copayment of $40.30 per script, the discount will reduce the contribution to your Safety Net prescription record form by $3 per month.